Slipstream is seeking candidates with a desire to apply both reason and creativity towards the creation of a sustainable energy society. Under the direction of the Research and Innovation department, the Field Researcher supports Slipstream’s efforts to collect and analyze data to inform innovative solutions and decisions to enable a transition to this clean energy vision.
Primary & Essential Responsibilities
1. Support data mining and analysis efforts evaluating energy efficiency and renewable energy strategies in buildings, campuses, communities or regional settings. Efforts will include, but not be limited acquiring data from both internal and external sources, analyzing and interpreting the data, and communicating results.
2. Quantify a number of research outcomes including energy system performance, emissions reduction potential, cost-benefit metrics.
3. Translate complex data and present results in formats that are useful and actionable. Utilize clear graphical representations of data, such as bubble graphs and scatter diagrams, to help visualize and understand processes, impacts, and shortcomings for understanding in broader community.
4. Support efforts to maintain high data quality standards and quality of data reporting.
5. Conduct secondary research on various topics, including emerging technologies and the interaction of technology and consumer behavior.
6. Work with database developers and other researchers to define data collection needs and to facilitate resolution.
7. Present research and analysis results to diverse audiences, including internal staff, senior management, clients, and at conferences.
Essential Skills and Experience
1. Bachelor’s Degree in statistics, environmental sciences, engineering, economics, market research, business, energy economics, or related field.
2. Desired work experience to include:
- Basic understanding of statistics and quantitative methods including regression analysis
- Sourcing and integration of data sets, processing very large data sets
- Fundamental knowledge of energy concepts
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively within teams
- Providing analytical results in easy to understand, well structured and visually appealing formats.
3. Demonstrated experience with statistical software and writing programs in Stata, R, SPSS, R, Python, SAS, or equivalent software desired.
Other beneficial experience
- Basic understanding of and experience with database management concepts
- Experience with building energy audits
- Experience with utility billing data
- Experience with data acquisition systems such as Campbell Scientific equipment and software
- Building energy modeling
- Field research experience
- Experience with geographic information systems
In today's market, strong employee benefits differentiate organizations. Slipstream provides a competitive benefit package, including health and dental insurance, life/disability insurance, and 401(k).
About the Organization
Slipstream (the result of a January 2019 merger of Seventhwave and WECC) is a mission-driven non-profit dedicated to advancing innovative strategies for real energy impacts through engineering, education and research. We implement award-winning energy efficiency programs that offer innovative approaches to address today's energy challenges. Our organization is headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, with a growing team in Chicago, Illinois. We provide a challenging, stimulating work environment that prizes collaboration and work-life balance. Slipstream provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, age, color, creed, national origin, religion, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, arrest or conviction record or any other basis provided by applicable law.
Slipstream is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.