Education for Transformation
We believe that heat pumps will be used to heat and cool more ComEd customers’ homes in the future and will play a critical role in reducing energy use. We are committed to breaking down barriers and helping transform the heat pump market. One critical priority is for us to help you, our dedicated partners, realize the rapidly growing market opportunity of air source heat pumps (ASHPs) in Northern Illinois. To do so, the ComEd Customer Innovation Team is bringing heat pump focused training opportunities to our Energy Efficiency Service Providers (EESPs).
Now through 2023, we will bring you a variety of free ASHP trainings and learning opportunities. This training will be offered through a combination of webinars, lunch and learns and in-person training opportunities.
There are no live trainings hosted by ComEd coming up this month. We invite you to explore our catalog of on-demand ASHP trainings. Some topics of note include:
- ASHPs for Northern Illinois
Air source heat pumps are great for Illinois customers. Discover how you can add heat pumps to your company’s product line and advance your business.
- ASHP Applications
Get the inside scoop on improvements in heat pump technology. Take a deep dive into the best methods for sizing a system, estimating costs, and ensuring optimal heat pump performance for your customers.
- ASHP Value Propositions and Sales Techniques
Discover the value of air source heat pumps (ASHPs) and how they can solve your customer’s comfort concerns. Use those learnings to make heat pumps an integral part of your business model.
- Overcoming Design Challenges and Identifying Opportunities for ASHPs
Learn how to pick the perfect heat pump for every customer situation – whether equipment replacement or new construction. Explore methods to optimize your system design and installation processes.
- ASHPs for New Construction
Learn how to make heat pumps part of your business as a builder or HVAC contractor with a deep dive into how they can support both dual-fuel and all-electric home applications.
- Replacing Air Conditioners with ASHPs
Getting calls to repair or replace air conditioners is a foundational part of all HVAC businesses every summer. This course will discuss the benefits and approaches that make sense to upgrade that "AC replacement" with the installation of a new two-way air conditioning heat pump.
- Designing ASHPs with Sizing and Selection in Mind
Explore both the why and what matters when properly designing, sizing, and selecting air source heat pumps for Norther Illinois homeowners. The course will cover best practices and resources to make this business decision a positive one.
- Heat Pump Control Strategies and Best Practices
Take a trip through the world of heat pump controls, with a particular focus on equipment and strategies to help dual-fuel heat pumps and all-electric cold-climate heat pumps perform their best.
Access the on-demand trainings here. If you are a ComEd EESP participating in the ComEd Heating and Cooling program, please review this collection of required courses to remain eligible to offer incentives in 2024.
Don't have an account? Create a FREE Coassemble account today to access the ComEd ASHP training workspace.
Energy Efficiency Verification Resources
Selecting equipment that has been tested and vetted for performance brings confidence in your specification and installation. These directories and registries of efficient, high-performance products should make your selection process simpler and help you deliver the results your clients expect.
- Air Conditioning, Heating, and Refrigeration Institute (AHRI)
This organization provides consistent and quality system ratings to ensure consumer confidence in HVAC equipment. You can use this site to find the most appropriate coil to pair with your furnace and heat pump to receive a ComEd Rebate.
- Consortium for Energy Efficiency Equipment Directory
This directory builds upon AHRI and ENERGY STAR® certifications to provide a single directory for products, categorized by efficiency tiers.
- Northeast Energy Efficiency Partnerships Cold-Climate Product Selection Tool
This tool will help you determine heat pump capacities at low temperatures.
- Cold-Climate Heat Pump Sizing Support Tool
This guide will help you make the most of the Cold-Climate Heat Pump Sizing Support Tool.
No Cost Load Calculation and Equipment Selection Resources
When considering a heat pump for any home or business, an accurate load calculation is critical to success. These free resources can help you evaluate each scenario and identify the right heat pump solution.
- Better than Average Rule of Thumb Load Estimation Chart
- BetterBuilt Northwest HVAC Sizing Tool
- Cool Calc Manual J (Air Conditioning Contractors of America Association Approved)
Along with product directories and tools for sizing equipment, the market has produced many helpful resources for you and your customers.
- ComEd ASHP Installation Guide
- ComEd Propane Home Cost of Heat Guide
- ComEd Natural Gas Home Cost of Heat Guide
- ComEd All Electric Home Cost of Heat Guide
- ComEd HVAC Participating Distributor/Energy Efficiency Service Provider List
- ComEd Midstream Residential HVAC
- ComEd Instant Discounts Commercial HVAC
- Heat Pump Nation
Learn how one successful HVAC contractor made heat pumps a key part of his business.
- Illinois On-Bill Energy Loan Program
Help connect your customers with financing on their electric bill to access the latest heat pump technology.
- Cold-Climate Ductless Heat Pump (DHP) Specification and Recommendations
- 9 Recommended Practices for Cold-Climate DHP Installations